Samurai House
Please provide login details for the Samurai House.
Samurai House
Please provide login details for the Samurai House.
Samurai House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Samurai House. We hope you enjoy your stay

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Helix Falks
Admin
Admin
Helix Falks

Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 7:29 pm

It was during the winter of the 3rd Era Year 233 when our tale begins on the continent of Enrellia.

The Winter was harsh that year and the great lakes of the 3 sisters had frozen solid. Snow fell from the heavens in blizzards and the wind howled through the evergreens like a forlorn wolf mourning the loss of summer it was bleak but beautiful and deadly to the untested.

It was here on the gradual slopes of the Cardinian mountains that Calem Adin worked his way toward civilization his boots crunching through the snow beneath his heavy frame, his journey was hampered by the prisoner he pulled fixed to a chain behind him, the creature was a Drow elf as beautiful and deadly as the land around him. He pulled sharply on the chain causing his catch to fall flat on her face he stopped briefly to allow the woman to get to her feet and to laugh at the protests she spat at him in her native tongue though he was not an evil man he found tormenting her was a welcoming pleasure, yet he did not fully wish to hand her over to the authorities. But that was what he was being paid to do.

"Soon you will be free of me princess" he said to her but she did not reply "I wonder what fate they will choose for you at Catha?"
"Death!" she said sharply "I am Drow no matter what crime your people think I committed the penalty will be death"
"MY people?!" he said turning and taking a step toward her, she stopped and took a step back not wishing to get within the man's reach "If you are not of Catha then why did you hunt me down?"
"For Sport, the Challenge of the hunt and of course for the gold you will bring, A man has gotta live you know"
"I wish you would stop living right now!" she spat
"Humf Fat chance princess" he said turning and starting on the trail again.

Calem thought back to the chase, It had taken him 10 days to find her trail and a further 10 days to catch up to her and then 2 more days to finally capture her she had proven to be a challenge all right, however now she was becoming tiresome every step closer to Catha they got the more intent she was to escape him and she was getting more and more creative, first she tried seduction to the point she was begging him to lay with her but he saw through it and right at the last moment when she thought she had won he laughed in her face then she feigned injury and then she out and out tried to kill him! he had now taken to wrapping the chain around her and what ever tree or solid object he could find. worse still he was forced to travel at night in the light of day she would not be able to see and he also ran the risk of getting snow-blindness.

"I make you this offer Princess If you cooperate, I will find some one to speak for you?" he said reassuringly
"No one will speak for me! I probably wont even get a trial" she replied "How about you let me go and I pay you double the gold for what you will get for me?"
'bribery that is a new one' he thought "With what gold?"
"Take me north to Ruthenium and I will have a merchant friend buy my freedom from you" she said a shimmer of hope forming in her eyes.
"Sorry but no, Catha is our destination not Ruthenium"

The snow grew thinner and the air warmer as the approached the valley that would take them to the northern walls of Catha, They were just a days walk from the city but dawn was coming and the need to shelter the Drow and her sensitive eyes from the sun was the thought at the forefront of Calem's mind.

"Up there" said the Drow nodding toward a collection of rocks "There is a small cave between the bolder and the slope"
Calem's eyes narrowed and he looked at her suspiciously "Very well... after you"
The pair walked up the slope and sure enough there it was a small cave entrance opened on the slope and the bolder sheltered it from the elements perfectly.

Calem stepped to the edge of the opening his boots scuffed a collection of stones that bounced into the hole but it was several seconds before he heard them land some distance below him 'You bloody fool!' screamed the little voice that was his mind. The next thing he knew he was falling forward with a Drow boot giving aid to his flight, With a gleeful smile of triumph the Drow dived sideways and wrapped the chain around a small tree and braised a foot against it, as she had expected the chain pulled taut. she stared at it for a few seconds and then slumped forward in despair the man had had a firm grasp on the line and the fall did not break it.

Calem climbed up and out of the pit, his first action was to grab the Drow by the throat and lift her up off the ground with murderous rage. He held her there mere inches from his face "I could snap your neck and carry your lifeless corpse back to Catha If you like" he shouted at her.
"Do it" she said his anger turned to bewilderment and he relaxed his grip slightly "That would be a much better fate than what I would receive at the hands of a Catharite Judge"
"I thought you said you would not get a trial"
"That all depends on what your notion of a trial is?"
He did not answer her question.

Calem quickly unwrapped the chain form the tree and then wound it round the Drow so that both her arms and legs were bound tightly he then wrapped his scarf around her head to cover her eyes and then hoisted her onto his shoulder and started off toward the City.

Calem had handed the Girl over to the bounty exchange who had paid him handsomely for his endeavour he was now sitting in the court room waiting for the case against the Drow to be heard by the Local Judge.

"All rise" commanded the bailiff as the Drow was ushered in to the hall
"Linell De Lirell you have been charged with breaching the peace and striking a fellow merchant... one Mr Valo Finch about the face, how do you plead?" Said the Judge in the usual Judges fashion.
"Not Guilty" she said the Judge eyed her sternly.
"Call the first witness" he said
Out from the seats at the front of the court came a man dressed in so much jewellery is footfalls were muffled by a constant jingling he took up the seat in the witness stand.
"Mr Valo Finch please tell the court the events that occurred on" - the judge looked at his papers - "on the third of winters start"
Finch looked at the Drow and then at the court in general "I was going about my business when that Drow there" he said with venom pointing at Linell "Burst into my shop and demanded that I sell her the priceless Artefact that I had previously told her several nights before that I was unwilling to part with, on hearing this news she flew into a murderous rage and attacked me"
"Was there anyone else present?" asked the Judge "no your honour but my clerk Weldel can testify to the injury inflicted upon my person"
"Thank you Mr Finch you may step down now" the Judge levelled his gaze upon the Drow "Miss De Lirell what have you to say?"
Linell stood up "The events up to the point I attacked him are true however the actual 'attack' never took place, I had offered to buy the artefact at an exuberant price and Mr Finch seemed willing to agree but then he told me that I would have to sleep with him to seal the deal something I would never do" she turned her gaze on Finch "ever!"
The Judge looked at Finch then back to Linell and finally said "The jury will adjourn to reach a decision"
The 12 people in the pen on the other side of the room, arose from their seats and filed out of the hall through a side door that lead presumably to a room they could reach this decision.

Calem didn't know much about courts and such he had never been inside one until this day. but he did know that in his lands far to the north on the continent of Corell that trials lasted a damn sight longer than ten minuets.

The Jury filed back into the room so far this whole affair had lasted no longer than quarter of an hour.
The Judge turned to the jury "What say you" he intoned.
A short stout man rose from the end of the front row closest to the judge "Guilty" he said
With that the hall was filled by the demands of the crowed in the hopes that they could entreat the judge to pronounce the sentence they wanted him too, Burn her some one shouted hang her came another stake her out so the sun can cleans her evil taint shouted a cruel voice from the back of the room that seemed to get a general chorus of agreement.
The judge banged his gavel on the plate a few times and called for order with a frown when all was still he levelled a stern gaze upon the Drow "Linell De Lirell you have been found guilty by the court of Catha and will be taken from these halls to the Watchers Keep where you will be hanged until you are dead" he said then banged his gavel on the plate three times.

Calem frowned this whole event had been a farce he now realized why the Drow had tried all those tactics to regain her freedom and why she had run in the first place clearly these people had no honour or any kind of Justice. A plan formed in his mind rapidly.

A few hours later Calem was laying in wait for the carriage that bore the Drow girl to her fate he had placed a fairly large stone in one of the wheel ruts on the road just moments before. It was a risky plan that may not work, but at least he could say he tried.
His wait was brief and the carriage rounded the corner and struck the stone, it bounced and one of the wheels flew off causing the carriage to grind to a halt a few feet from his hiding place the coachman grumbled and climbed down to inspect the damage what he found caused yet more grumbling he looked up and down the road and then headed toward the thrown wheel.

Calem darted out from where he lay and quickly forced the lock on the door of the carriage with his dagger what he found inside pulled at his nerves and his anger rose up and threatened to take control he forced it back in its place now was not the time for his battle rage. He climbed inside the carriage and examined the Drow her cloths had been torn and were bloody she had clearly received a good beating but she had survived despite her frail look. he gathered her up and jumped down out of the door he looked toward the coachman who was now inspecting the wheel and grumbling satisfied that he would not bee seen he darted back into the woods and did not stop until his legs refused to go any further.

He dropped to his knees out of breath. but much to his dismay he was not alone 4 men had burst out from behind a tree in front of him and they were now exchanging puzzled glances...

Last edited by Helix Falks on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stonesmith
Admin
Admin
Stonesmith

PostSubject: Re: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 9:29 pm

He watched the suspicious looking stranger for several minutes. He watched him place a stone in the wagon ruts and then hide nearby. Then the 'Death Wagon' came into view. The wagon of the condemned. The locals had taken to calling it that due to the excessive use of the death penalty in Catha. Corruption ran amok and most outsiders were considered less than stray dogs.

But not this outsider. This one they treated with civil hands. The wheel popped of the wagon and the stranger quickly and quietly stole the prisoner from the executioner's care. He nodded to the others as the stranger approached with his prize.

Just as the man dropped to his knees he stepped out from behind the trees. All four of them stepped out. Unsure of what was actually going on they stood and just stared at the others for a few seconds. He then quickly knelt down and the others followed. Now they were all hidden from view of the guards on the wagon; but neither could they see the guards.

He said nothing, but stared at the man. The stranger began to speak, but he lifted his finger to his lips to quiet the outsider. And then made motion for the man to follow. He deftly moved back behind the trees and down a small slope. Hidden in a rock formation was the entrance to a cave. The cave had all the comforts of home; two chairs, a table and a fire ring. there were also two straw and leave beds. Turning to the outsider who had followed him he nodded towards a bed indicating the man and his prize should have a seat. Then he sat down in one of the chairs, but said nothing. He just waited.
Back to top Go down
https://sevensamurai.rpg-board.net
Helix Falks
Admin
Admin
Helix Falks

PostSubject: Re: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Calem followed the man into the cave dwelling and placed the Drow upon one of the beds, she stirred slightly from her slumber and her eyes flickered open briefly. She looked Calem in the eye with a puzzled gaze before her eyes rolled back and she once again slipped back into her injury induced sleep.

Calem had a thousand questions on his mind that he wish to put to the stranger and his band of men but first he would have to tend to the broken woman's wounds. From a small potion pouch on his belt he pulled 3 bottles of clear liquid holding them firmly he gave them a little shake and held them up to the faint light of the fire all three changed colour one was a faint glowing white another was a bright blue and the last a pleasant purple. He selected the blue potion and stowed the rest back in the potion pouch. he gently lifted Linell's head and flicked the stopper off the bottle with his thumb and poured its contents into her mouth. The magic took hold almost instantly and the Drow's eyes flew open wide. There was no illusion of the pain she felt as the potion did its work knitting her bones back together with sickening cracks. she thrashed about wildly and Calem held her in place as quickly as it began it was over and the drow breathed a sigh of relief before allowing sleep to reclaim her.

Calem also gave out a sigh the potion could have killed just as easily as it cured her such were the risks of potions of that calibre. He removed his heavy bear skin jacket and put it on Linell as gently as he could before turning his attention on the stranger who once again nodded at the chair opposite him.

Now that his mind was free of other worries he could feel the fatigue in his body, his legs felt like jelly and his arms ached from carrying the Drow for so great a distance. He slumped down into the chair and turned his gaze upon the stranger.

The Stranger eyed him as if to verify what ever internal war raged in his mind.

Calem was a seasoned warrior and tracker in the twilight years of his twentys the stranger could tell he was from the distant north by that Tattoos now visible on his bare arms and by the well made Mithrill vest that he wore which apart from the Mithrill bracer's on his forearms and wrists was the only form of armour he wore.

"You are a Barbarian of the continent of Corell?" said the stranger speaking for the fist time.
"Yes but I left that life a decade ago and took up study in the city of Teth" Calem replied honestly
The stranger seemed to approve of this "What brings you so far south?"
"I have seen the north pole and now I wish to see the south"
"I see, and would your travels have taken you to the Castle of Lord Arayus Teth?"
Calem's eyes narrowed "You are spies?" he siad
Back to top Go down
Stonesmith
Admin
Admin
Stonesmith

PostSubject: Re: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 11:21 am

"Spies! Well, I can't speak for my......associates, but I have not been a spy for 6 years. I did quite a bit of spying a long time ago, during the Territorial Wars, but now not so much. Not that I am necessarily against spying. I do what I need to do to complete the assignments I accept." he explained lightly.

The outsider looked at him quizzically, saying "Assignments"

Hatton laughed out loud. "Yes. Assignments. My name is Hatton and I provide a wide array of skills to those able to pay for them. I usually work alone, but my current assignment requires some extra hands, so I had to hire some help"

"And your current assignment involves Lord Teth?" asked the Corellian Barbarian.
Hatton thought about how much he should say, so he said as little as he could, "Yes"
"What 'business' do you have with Lord Teth?"

"That is my business and the business of my employer, but does not concern you. I will pay you 2 pieces of gold for information on Lord Teth's castle. I may pay more depending on the quality of the infomation you provide." said Hatton
Back to top Go down
Helix Falks
Admin
Admin
Helix Falks

PostSubject: Re: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 8:50 pm

The Barbarian leaned back in the chair and locked Hatton in a searching gaze several thoughts passed through his mind but his options were few finally after what seemed like an age he leaned back forward.

"2 gold pieces?" he said finaly
"Aye for information on the castle"replied Hatton
Calem gave a little chuckle and then looked the other in the eye.
"I'm sorry to say but If I did know anything about Arrayus' castle I would not speak of it for all the gold in Nor* however I thank you for your hospitality and helping me evade the guards... but I think I have lingered to long"
"Perhaps, perhaps not, before you go would you mind telling me your name and that of the Drow?"
"I am Calem Adin and she is Linell De Lirell" Calem said has he stood.
"There are few people in this Land or the next that would free a Dark Elf from its fate at the watchers keep... why did you risk so much for her?"
"I was the hunter that brought her in... A mistake. I actually thought Catha's rulers had a shred Justice, Sadly I was wrong"
Hatton laughed heartedly "Catha is ruled by the rich merchants and the Law does what it can to line its pockets corruption runs rampant in its streets. Tell me what was the Girls crime?"
Calem sighed "She was accused and convicted of striking a Merchant a man named Valo Finch"
"I see and what will you do next?" said Hatton rising from the chair and booting open a large trunk.
"I will take her Ruthenium to a merchant friend of hers"
"Then you will be needing these" Hatton chucked Calem's pack onto the floor and then hefted the Barbarians greatsword and handed it to him, Calem took his belongings and looked at the man curiously.
"Just how long were you watching me before I freed Linell" Calem said with a sigh.

Calem was a great tracker and an accomplished Hunter he could hear a pin drop in a crowded market square and probably find it in the hay stack afterwords but he had not seen nor heard Hatton or his 'Associates' and that disturbed him greatly.

Hatton smiled "Long enough to know you were trouble and long enough to know you were my kind of trouble but I see you are a man of honour I could use a man of your talents in my outfit" he said
"I will think on it but my first duty is to Linell"
Hatton nodded and sat back down. He looked at Calem and then at the Dark Elf and said...

(* Nor is the largest Island of a chain of Islands to the far north west in the North Sana-Adrianic sea The Norians are similar in appearance to the Arabians of old and there most treasured metal is Gold due to this the phrase "for all the gold in Nor" was coined if you will pardon the pun)
Back to top Go down
Stonesmith
Admin
Admin
Stonesmith

PostSubject: Re: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 8:25 pm

"I wish I could change your mind" said Hatton still watching the Drow . "I suppose a Drow has certain talents that might come in useful. Of course, given you apparent affection for Lord Teth you would probably just be trouble for me."

Hatton got up and walked over to a trunk and began to rummage through it. "Calem, where did you say you were headed to?" asked Hatton as he looked over. "Ruthenium" answered Calem.

"Any chance you would be willing to take this package to the village of Lokra near there. The blacksmith there, named Bargo will be very glad to see it. I will pay you 5 gold coins now, and Bargo will pay 10 gold coins on delivery. Of course, you must not open the package or you would forfeit any pay. Bargo will be able to tell if the package has been opened. What do you say Calem?" asked Hatton

Last edited by Stonesmith on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : make it a better post)
Back to top Go down
Helix Falks
Admin
Admin
Helix Falks

PostSubject: Re: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness EmptySun May 10, 2009 7:41 pm

"I will take you package but not your gold" said the proud Northmen, Hatton looked at him puzzled "I am not a courier and it is not far from my trail if your blacksmith wishes to compensate me for the trouble I would have him sharpen my blade gold is of little use to me as I can get what I need from the land I also have a heavy bounty that I just collected for her" he said nodding at the Drow

Hatton nodded "It must not be opened" he said as he handed over the package. Calem nodded and pushed it to the bottom of his pack

Suddenly shouts and the sound of steel meeting steel shattered the silence and the two men looked at each other. Calem was the first to act, grabbing his sword he rushed out side with Hatton close behind.

Out side three dozen warriors clad in red engaged Hatton's "Associates" in combat and more were coming in to flank the out numbered men, arrows rained down from the trees as more of Hatton's people revealed themselves to their attackers with deadly accuracy.

Calem looked about, took measure of their foe and then charged toward the oncoming soldiers he was outnumbered but that did not deter him for he had thought in the Lich wars under the mighty demigod Tarken. these men paled in comparison to the hideous undead that he had bested in the past and as such was not surprised when they fell to his blade more easily.

The Battle was going well for Calem he had already killed seven men and Hatton had joined him claiming just as many lives. The remaining soldiers faltered and then finally turned tail and ran for there lives Hatton and his men gave a little cheer. But Calem could still hear steel ringing but it took him awhile to discern where the sounds were coming from.

When they happened upon the the conflict Calem was taken aback by the scene before him three of Hattons men had a lone Barbarian woman surrounded and were trying to bring her down but she fort them off with ease Calem studied her for a moment.

The Woman was at least 6 foot tall and brandished a sword that matched her hight she wore a fire Beetle carapace Shaped into a solid looking leotard that left her legs and arms unprotected like Calem she wore sturdy leather boots and a bracer on each wrist she was also beautiful with long red hair that flowed about her head like liquid flames she was in fact everything a Northmen like Calem would want in a woman.

As he stood there gazing upon the thing of beauty before him Hatton charged past eager to aid his comrades but Calem grabbed his arm causing the man to come to a halt.

"What are you doing!?" exclaimed Hatton
Calem nodded toward the woman "Berserker" he said.
Realisation flashed over Hatton's eyes and he took a few steps to come up beside Calem "What should we do?" he asked finally
"there are two things we could do..."
"and they are?"
"One, we hope your men can stay alive until she tires and comes out of her rage or two, I wade in myself and beat her out of it"
"Why you"
"I am a Barbarian of the north I can take on a Battle rage just like her only I can control it this woman cannot otherwise she would have realized the folly in her continuing to fight"

Calem levelled a stern gaze on Hatton "If I am killed make sure the Drow gets the gold in my pouch and if you wouldn't mind make sure my things are sent to Aridal Keep they will know what to do with them also I want to be cremated" He said

Hatton only nodded in agreement and then stepped back. Calem stood and began to chant in words Hatton could not understand.
After a short while his chanting ended and his eyes became glazed for a second or two then with a deafening roar he charged down upon the Berserker female.

Their swords' met with a shower of sparks and a clang louder than a church bell. The two Barbarians exchanged blow after blow neither able to overcome the other. Hatton watched the fray curiously he had seen Barbarians fighting before but there was something about Calem that gave him pause to think from his own experience the Northern Barbarians of Corell charged into battle shouting and growling at their foes in a frighting display of chaotic rage they made more noise than a full brass band in a domed theatre but Calem except for his roar of announcement made none he also wore on his face an unnerving and faint smile which sent shivers down Hatton's spine.

Thus far Calem had been testing the woman he had now gotten a measure of her prowess and skill, she was good but he was better, He stepped in then feinted to the left and attacked to the right as expected she fell for his ruse and he delivered a hard slap to the back of her leg with the flat of his blade forcing her to fall to one knee, he reposed and brought his sword down hard but the woman had expected this and had her sword ready to defend. Calem's blade bounced against hers and he used the force to spin it over his head and round in a low swing that met the ground and flicking mud up into the girls face instinctively her eyes closed and she turned her face away. The tip Calem's blade traced a neat vertical line up her cheek and finally struck the underside of her sword flinging it up and out of her grasp, the fearsome weapon landed several feat away and Hatton quickly rushed forward and claimed it.

For some strange reason the lose of her blade seemed to bother her more than Calem and she charged toward Hatton screaming in rage but Calem was upon her in moments discarding his sword he dived on the Berserker and wrestled her to the floor. they rolled back and forth untill Calem managed to get on top and pin her down.

The girl struggled for a time but finally gave up her Berserker rage and slipped into unconsciousness. Calem stood and retrieved his sword once it was back in his grasp he dropped out of his own battle rage his strength left him and he flopped to the floor panting as if he had just ran a marathon.
Back to top Go down
Stonesmith
Admin
Admin
Stonesmith

PostSubject: Re: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Hatton looked at the Berserker, Calem and the Berserker's sword in his hand. He stood for several minutes attempting to determine the correct course of action.

"Reck, Tanos - take Calem and the Drow to Caer Toran. Treat them as family. Bind the Berserker, take her to the secure area at Toran" said Hatton as he dug through Calem pack and fished out the package Calem was to deliver.

"Guyton, take this package to Bargo in Lokra. Do not get caught with it. Stay off the roads and give it ONLY to Bargo." instructed Hatton.

"Get moving. The rest of you, pack up, scatter and disappear. Two's and three's at the most. Stay out of trouble. Meet me in 10 days in Cyrean, at the Boar's Tavern. We still have a job to do in Teth and I don't intend to let that go into default. Reck, stay at Toren until Calem and the Drow have left, then join me. Tanos, come to Cyrean as soon as you can. Guyton, stay in Lokra, we will meet you there on our completion." instructed Hatton.

Everybody moved. While Hatton was fair he was not a man to be ignored or crossed. As soon as everybody else had left, Hatton mounted up and took one last look around. He knew the soldiers would be back soon. He was upset that they had been found, it set his timetable back nearly 4 days. 4 days that he didn't have. Now he would have to work faster, which increased the possibility of questions being raised and attention drawn to him. He didn't like that.

He rode out in the opposite direction of Cyrean, planning to double back when he got to the coast. It would take him 8 days travel to get to Cyrean, leaving him only 5 days to complete his current assignment.

Last edited by Stonesmith on Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct an omission)
Back to top Go down
Helix Falks
Admin
Admin
Helix Falks

PostSubject: Re: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 9:45 pm

"Calem! on your feet!" said a voice that echoed in Calem's head, the stench of death assaulted his nose and the sounds of bloody conflict surrounded him, a near deafening crescendo which would not end. Pain racked is every muscle but with the aid of the strong arm pulling him he found himself upright, He took stock of his surroundings and brought on the rage.

The world around him slowed as his pace quickened. He danced the dance of death known only to those of his clan each swing finding a skeletal warrior and cleaving it in two. He did not know how long he had been fighting nor did he care as in the rage all was quiet the sounds softened he could only just hear his name being called "Calem! come back this way we need you here!" he turned and the feeling of respect and love for the man he now looked upon flooded into his heart and he obeyed like any loyal son would to his fathers voice. Suddenly he was over come with a deep sense of loss and dread as he watched as his father was run-through, he gazed upon the murderer, a Lich king Calem let out a blood curdling roar and charged his foe.

The Barbarian boy and the ancient Lich engaged in a duel which staggered onlookers into standing and staring in disbelief.
Calem was beginning to tire when he saw his opportunity in the Lich's left hand was and orb the size of a melon it had a swirling grey mist inside and beneath the mist he could just make out what looked like a beating heart, A heart as black as night and twice as terrifying. with all his might he swung past the lich's guard and bashed the orb away from it. Incensed the lich back handed him sending him sprawling after the orb but before the undead creature could act a bright blinding light filled the battle field. The Undead all around Calem began to explode into clouds of dust and a faint smile adorned Calem's face as he looked toward the embattled Lich. "Arrayus" he said as he watched his savour destroy his greatest foe.

Calem awoke from his dream and sat upright. he was on a wagon in the woods being pulled along by two great horses. Linell sat lazily with an arm draped over the rail and the other clutching Calem's sword over her knees she looked deep in thought until Calem reached to reclaim his Blade. She let him take it without a word and he pulled himself onto the bench opposite they stared at each other for a time until Calem broke the silence.

"I will take you to Ruthenium" he said
"Why?" she replied
"You said you had a friend their"
"I lied I have no friends on the surface and just as many beneath it"
Calem frowned "Did you lie about striking Valo Finch too"
"No I did not for all the good it did me"
"So what now then"
Linell shrugged "You seem to have found us a willing benefactor... this Hatton fellow? perhaps I will work for him until I no longer desire it or he tries to bed me"
"What if I don't wish to work with Hatton?"
"Do what you please but by my knowledge of you surface dwelling folk do you not repay those who show you kindness? I would also like to enjoy your company for a time but I will tell you this... I owe you nothing... yes, you saved my life but it was you that put it in danger in the first place"
Calem sighed "For that I am truly sorry"
"Ha! sorry he says! I do not want for your apologies Calem Adin"
"Then what? I have clearly wronged you"
"It is settled you set it right we are even No?"
"Fine its settled then we shall speak no more of this!"
"Good but you owe Hatton for aiding us yes?"
"No I aided him by defending his camp and I captured him a Berserker warrior"
"Oh? you mean that thing?" she said pointing to the red haired woman chained up at the back of the wagon.
He turned to look and the Berserker averted her gaze which caused Linell to frown "Interesting, she boars holes into my eye's with her fearsome gaze but you send her looking away at the passing brown and green things"
"Trees" said Calem
"What?!"
"The brown and green things sticking up out of the ground? they are trees"
"Oh? thank you"

Neither Calem nor Linell said another word to each other for the rest of that day which suited Calem though every time he was looking away he could see her staring at him out of the corner of his eye...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness   Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness Empty

Back to top Go down

Snowfall - The Heart of Darkness
Page 1 of 1